Welcome to the Revolution

Hi there, welcome to my blog - La Revolution Deux. It's an odd name - but I like it! Here you will find all the info on my various DIY Guitar effects builds, amplifiers and guitars. Everything from a humble Ibanez tubescreamer to the holiest KLON Overdrive.

You may also find a few effects builds that I am looking to move on - usually in exchange for other effects/gear/cash. You can always check my ebay account to see what I've got up for grabs.

Have fun, enjoy the blog - Fred Briggs :-)

CONTACT ME



Feel free to get in contact with me about anything you see on this blog or with any general questions about guitars, amplifiers and effects, I'll be happy to answer! Just click the button above to email me directly or alternately my email address is fredbriggs2007 [at] googlemail [dot] com

Search This Blog

Thursday 26 January 2012

Zvex - Super Duper




[images of custom shop Super Duper 2 in 1 pedals - how cool is the butterfly?]

Here's a project I'm adding just because I get a lot of requests for the schematic - it's the Zvex Super-Duper-2-in-1. Basically two cascaded Super Hard on circuits with a master volume control at the end.

Here's an internal gutshot of the Super Duper [Note the extra transistors for Millenium bypass switching/polarity protection]:


Here's the description from the Zvex website:
"The SUPER-DUPER 2-IN-1 (TM) has two of my infamous but rather delightful Super Hard-On(TM) pedals in one small box, with two switches and LED indicators. HEY! I responded to your multitude of complaints that I don't put in LED's! Also, in this SUPER-DUPER 2-IN-1 (TM) (gosh I love saying that) is a Master volume control that lets you use it as an overdrive/distortion with any output volume. My my! How conventional, you say! Well, suffice to say, if it weren't there, you'd go deaf with both of those channels cranked up. This pedal is dangerously loud. Don't do what I did, and lean over in front of your speaker cabinet while turning it up. Ouch. Dang.

CHANNEL 1:

This channel is a conventional Super Hard-On (TM), which I will henceforth refer to as the SHO, in order to reduce potential offense to young ears and sensitive persons. Its gain control is on the far right, and it's LED is yellow. If you are familiar with the SHO, you'll know that it's a very sparkly sounding high input-impedance preamp with incredible headroom, wide-ranging gain (unity to 60 X), and a maximum volume that will knock out your fillings. Channel one has no Master Volume control, but it's cascaded into Channel 2, which does...

CHANNEL 2 AND THE MASTER VOLUME:

This channel has the very same circuit as Channel 1, but the bleeder resistor on the output has been replaced with a Master Volume control, which allows the user to turn down the output volume even if the gain is set quite high. The knob on the left is the gain, and the middle knob is the Master Volume, and the LED is red. When both channels are on, or if only Channel 2 is on, the Master Volume is active. If you leave the Master wide open, you have two identical SHO pedals in one box, which are cascaded."

Here's the ProGuitarShop demo video so you can see the Super Duper in action:


And here's a schematic for you:


If you want a layout, get yourself over to the Super Hard On project and just build two of those ;-) Or get yourself over the Madbean pedals and get a copy of his "FireBomb" project: http://madbeanpedals.com/projects/index.html

Here's the freestompboxes.org forum topic for reference: http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=696

1 comment:

  1. It looks like that the 0.1uF capacitors in the schematic are marked 103 in the gutshot picture. So SHO uses 100nF caps while in the super duper 10nFcaps are used.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome on Revolution Deux. However, please do not spam links to unrelated sites - these comments will be removed! Thanks - Briggs.